Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, October 6, 2019

Nikon Lens Help/Bleg

I have a D3100 with an 18-55mm lens. I'd like to get a telephoto, either 55-200mm or 70-300mm. (Which would be preferable for both nature and seashore use [boats, ships]?)

Are the Tokina, Tamron or Sigma lenses any good?

Is there a store you trust for used lenses?

9 comments:

Rounder Studio Stuff said...

I'm not a fan of after market lenses, put first rate glass on your Nikon, look for used Nikkor lenses, avoid the others.

Eck! said...

I'm a fan of the 55-200 as its a bit more flexible for closer stuff.
Other factors like how fast the glass is and field of view are
factors as well.

As to who makes it, I have a Tamron for the old Pentex (K mount) I have
It served me very well and if I ever find the bag I might consider a
Digital K-mount body.

Eck!

Stewart Dean said...

Allen's Camera,
https://allenscamera.com/
bought all my gear there, including used.
Righteous support.
I have Canon (5D S R, 50 MP, wonderful full frame camera). While I have a full suite of prime and zoom lenses, I pretty end up using two lenses:
24-105 zoom and 70-300 zoom, both image stabilized. With IS, even the 300mm focal length is a portrait lense. IS is the nuts; among other things, it makes autofocus faster and low-light shooting with a long lens possible.
http://tinyurl.com/sdean-supersharpall
Have had Nikon and Olympus in my film days
I can't imagine Nikon isn't the match of Canon, but have to say that my Canon gear is really the most phenomenal camera for bringing back what I see that I have ever had...and I have been in photography since 1960 when I was 13.

bearsense said...

Used Canon equip for over 50 years.
Try Nikon’s site for reconditioned lenses. Usually carry full warranty and cost less.

freddd said...

Here is another alternative: https://www.lensrentals.com/rent/photo/nikon. I found i did not like the old 70-210 zoom. Good way to try before you buy.

Eck! said...

Another way to try before you buy is your local camera store... Bring your
body (the camera body too) there and try out lenses for fit and function.

Between a K mount Pentex and a Ricoh the coolest lens was the 50-250, 70mm
quarter turn focus lens for the Ricoh. it was the bomb for Airshow pictures.
Less so for casual as it was large and heavy but it was also fast.

If I was trying to go light the short telephoto and a wide angle was the pair I brought.

Eck!

w3ski said...

I have a Tamaron 55 by 200 and in the store it looked great but in the woods it really isn't that good for distance. I wish I had bought a 300 now. It does take great close ups of the wildflowers however.
w3ski












Aaron said...

The Sigma 100-400 is an awesome lens.

Quality rates right up there and some reviewers find its sharper than the comparable Canon or Nikon. A bit longer than what you're looking for, but fantastic for ship/aircraft/wildlife photos, and does a decent portrait as well for a very decent price.

Stewart Dean said...

I've put my photography advice together into a webpage on my personal website
http://www.sdean.net/PhotographyAdvice.html