Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Saturday, January 18, 2014

What to Buy, What to Buy; Gun Edition

I'd like to do some Bullseye shooting.

What I'd like is a pistol that (a) isn't terribly expensive and (b) can be customized as desired. Which means that it has to have replaceable grips, for starters, and the ability to mount a rail come the day when I want to mount some sort of optic.

Which seems to come down to three choices: The Browning Buckmark, the S&W Model 22a, or the Ruger Mk. III. At the LGS, the Buckmark is the most expensive, the S&W the cheapest, though the range is under 50.

All three feel OK in my hand as is. (The Ruger .22/45 does not.)

I am leaning towards the Mk. III for the sole reason that if I really get into this type of shooting (come availability of .22 ammo), it seems that the Rugers can be modified to hell and gone. On the other hand, I'd not have to go through a FFL to replace the barrel of a Buckmark.

I've shot all three guns and I didn't develop a hard preference.

Opinions wanted.

7 comments:

One Fly said...

I very much like my 22 Ruger Mk. 111.
I'm in a shitty situation as if I wear glasses I can see the sights well and visa - versa.

I do know for a fact that these pistols are extremely accurate. I may not be able to see things as well and accuracy has suffered but no matter what you sure as hell don't want to be shot at with a pistol like this even at a very long range.

In fairness I know nothing about the others.

S O said...

Buy a used one after testing it on a range.

In case you have issues with pistol iron sights, give revolvers a chance. Many revolvers have much bigger open sights than most pistols.

Reflex sights may make sense if the budget isn't too tight. A cheap Eotech clone, for example.

Or go with a cheap aiming laser, which is slower but dispenses with the entire sights issue and allows your eyes to focus on the target.

Comrade Misfit said...

SO, If I could find a used one, I would.

The matches here are 50 yard and 25 yard. On the rapid-fire stage, having to shoot a revolver double-action, well, I might as well be throwing the rounds at the target. And I have yet to see a used S&W M-17/617 recently for under $700.

The prices for used ones online are no bargain, either.

Anonymous said...

I have a Ruger MkII bull barrel target model which is incredibly accurate. It is also an absolute pain to disassemble it for cleaning. If you've never had the pleasure, go to youtube and watch a couple of videos. I still need a mallet and a softwood block to disassemble mine after I've stoned the burrs off the parts.

On the plus side you can buy everything for the Ruger and Volquartsen will build you one anyway you want, just send money.

Al_in_Ottawa

Anonymous said...

VERY hard to beat all the options available for Rugers.

All that disassembly stuff is easy to fix with this kit:

http://majesticarms.com/id10.html

and you get an improved trigger out of the deal!

Buckmarks are great guns, but they simply don't have the available aftermarket that Rugers do.

Peter said...

I went for the Buck Mark Contour 5.5" URX, pictured here:

http://bayourenaissanceman.blogspot.com/2013/03/success.html

I've been very happy with it. It meets all your specifications. While it was expensive, I don't regret the price.

.45ACP+P said...

I have the Ruger Mark III and my wife has the Browning Buckmark. I do not feel you can go wrong with either one. The Ruger has mass to add stability but the Browning just feels better. Putting the Buckmark in a new shooter's hand is usually followed by "Where can I buy one of these?"