Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Sunday, August 30, 2015

Mining the Range, a Followup

(The first post and comments.)

I chatted with one of the range owners recently. His research, at the time he researched and priced out building his range, was that the metal backstop ranges were more than twice as expensive to build. True, collecting and recycling the lead is simpler and doesn't require closing the range down, but it takes a very long time in operation to earn back the initial costs, compared to the costs of mining a rubber range.

Additionally, the metal backstop ranges can have a higher level of airborne lead, which requires larger air-handling systems to deal with. Some designs use an oil-water system to wet down the backstops to reduce the level of airborne lead. But then that fluid becomes hazardous waste.

--------------------------------

A side-by-side comparison between my red-dot Ruger and my open-sighted Model 17 would indicate that on slow-fire, I'm giving up 15 points per relay by using the revolver. I did install the Pachmyer target grips and while they do the job, they certainly are of a cheaper grade than the ones from the `80s.

I had been shooting rapid fire with the first shot single-action and the subsequent ones double action. I think I'll not do that, as if I stay DA throughout, I won't be futzing with repositioning my trigger finger.

No comments: