Seen on the street in Kyiv.

Words of Advice:

"If Something Seems To Be Too Good To Be True, It's Best To Shoot It, Just In Case." -- Fiona Glenanne

“The Mob takes the Fifth. If you’re innocent, why are you taking the Fifth Amendment?” -- The TOFF *

"Foreign Relations Boil Down to Two Things: Talking With People or Killing Them." -- Unknown

“Speed is a poor substitute for accuracy.” -- Real, no-shit, fortune from a fortune cookie

"If you believe that you are talking to G-d, you can justify anything.” — my Dad

"Colt .45s; putting bad guys in the ground since 1873." -- Unknown

"Stay Strapped or Get Clapped." -- probably not Mr. Rogers

"The Dildo of Karma rarely comes lubed." -- Unknown

"Eck!" -- George the Cat

* "TOFF" = Treasonous Orange Fat Fuck, A/K/A Dolt-45,
A/K/A Commandante (or Cadet) Bone Spurs,
A/K/A El Caudillo de Mar-a-Lago, A/K/A the Asset., A/K/A P01135809

Thursday, August 6, 2009

Not With a Whimper, But With a Bang

Hiroshima was bombed in the first attack using an atomic weapon, 64 years ago today.


70,000 people were killed that day, possibly as many as 250,000 died over the long term.


My father and other members of his generation in my family were in the pipeline for Operation Olympic. Given that my father was trained by the Army to defuse Japanese landmines, it is probably a safe bet that he would not have come home from that, as it is entirely possible that Americans deaths in the invasion would have been over a million. Japanese casualties would have easily been several times that and may even have exceeded those suffered by China or the USSR.

I suspect that of the readers of this blog, a significant fraction had fathers, uncles, and grandfathers who survived the war because the atomic bombs were dropped.

Do I think the atomic bombings were a good idea? Yes, I do.

I do not believe that Japan would have surrendered easily. Given the conduct of the war to August of 1945, forcing Japan to surrender by conventional means would have required killing a significant fraction of the Japanese people. The 20th Air Force had conducted massive fireraids that had burned almost every city in Japan to the ground. The only other course of action would have been a massive siege operation that would have taken years, would have starved millions of Japanese civilians to death and probably would have taxed the patience of the Allies.

3 comments:

Frank Van Haste said...

Miss Fit:

I agree with you.

Frank

Anonymous said...

You're absolutely right.

Sarah said...

Yeah, the Big Picture has more pictures. Sobering.

I suppose I agree with the decision to use the weapons, with some reservations, but what a horrible load on one's mind that decision would be. I'm glad it was not my job to prosecute the war... I think I'd make a poor soldier.

I'm reading Gleick's biography of Richard Feynman at the moment, and just left the "Los Alamos years" section. It's a great book if you're a physics groupie like me. As an engineer, I can appreciate the draw and fascination with incredible, extreme physics. It's like being a wizard, meddling with power like that. I could say more, but not in a blog comment. I'll just leave it at a recommendation to read Rhode's "Dark Sun", the story of the H bomb - if you care about that bit of history.